We have a little over a month left to go before Amazon premiere’s The Grand Tour, one of the most anticipated shows in recent memory. With our growing Facebook Page | Grand Tour Nation, we have been receiving a lot of messages asking the same question – How can I watch the new car show by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May?
Well, let’s break it down for you right here:
First Step on The Grand Tour
You’re going to need to go buy an Amazon Prime subscription, since Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos paid a reported $250 million for it, he’s hoping to get his money back from the $99 a year subscription for all the former Top Gear fans coming over.
NUMBERS: Amazon needs to sign up 2.52 million new subscribers over the next 3 years to break even on this deal if they were not to sell any advertisements in the show.
With that fact, it seems very unlikely Amazon will sell the rights to the show to any television networks hoping to show reruns of the show.
[button color=”red” size=”big” alignment=”center” rel=”follow” openin=”newwindow” url=”http://amzn.to/2bSA4nc”]Buy your $99 Amazon Prime Subscription Here[/button]
Don’t Forget: It’s a Free 30 Day Trial, so you can cancel if you don’t like it.
Justifying the $99 Cost – Cutting the Cord
If you’ve been on the fence about cutting the cord and living off just streaming content, then this is probably the best reason to do it. Along with the ability to watch the boys race supercars and tell jokes that would make a teenage boy blush, you’re also getting a lot more with your Amazon subscription:
- Free 2-Day delivery on packages. Some times free same-day delivery!
- Unlimited streaming of movies and tv shows on your amazon enabled devices.
- HBO Library
- Amazon Original Programing
- Some Movies & TV Shows: Senna, PBS for Kids, The Walking Dead, Dallas Buyers Club, Boogie Nights, etc.
- Unlimited Prime Music: Think Spotify, Pandora or iTunes Radio
- Unlimited Photo Storage
If you play your cards right, you could get your $99 back in free deliveries alone!
If you need to ween yourself off traditional cable television, there are services such as Playstation TV and Sling, which broadcast live tv such as ESPN, History, FoodTV, Travel Channel, TNT and TBS. Costs range from $20-$25 a month, but compared to $150 a month for cable, this could be a great deal:
- $99 / year subscription to Amazon Prime | Free 30 Day Promo
- $94.99 for an Amazon 4K Enabled Fire TV & HD Antennae | Buy Now
- $20 for Sling TV | Free Trial
On average, traditional cable tv costs an average household about $1800 a year. With this setup, you’re looking at under $500 for the first year and then $340 a year after that. Not bad, huh?
Apologies on how salesy this looks, but we’re just trying our best to answer all the questions as best as we can, so we don’t have to answer any more in the future!
Technology – What equipment should you get?
Since this epic new motoring show is going to be shot in HDR/4k Ultra HD, make sure you have an Amazon device that is capable of delivery 4k streaming content to your television.
Next, you should make sure you have a 4k enabled television. If money’s no object, then check out Samsung and LG OLEDs and while you’re at it, make a donation to Grand Tour Nation. If money is an object, then check out the M-series by Vizio, which we honestly think is the best bang for your buck 4k televisions out there.
*Note – You don’t have to have a 4k enabled television to watch The Grand Tour. Any tv that can receive a digital signal should do the trick!
Although executive producer, Andy Wilman, said it was very difficult to film in 4k, it was something that Amazon pushed hard for, so let’s hope the image/sound quality can keep up with the quality of show Clarkson, Hammond and May will bring to us in October!
You do NOT need an Amazon device to watch Amazon Videos. You just need a device that can enable Amazon Videos such as an iPhone with the Amazon Videos App or an Android Device with the Amazon Videos App.
Solutions for Every Budget (if you already have a Amazon Prime account)
- Free if you watch videos on a computer, mobile device or internet enabled television
- Download the App: iOS | Android
- Use Your Smart TV Apps: Vizio, Samsung & TCL Roku TVs
- Open a browser on your computer and go to: Amazon Video
- Amazon Fire Stick | $39.99 – Just plug it into your HDMI enabled tv and login to your Amazon Prime account.
- Amazon Fire Tablet | $49.99 – Login with your Amazon Prime and Open your App
- From what we’ve learned, Google Chromecast does not work with Amazon Prime. Correct us if we’re wrong.
- Roku Streaming Stick | $49.99 – Just plug it into your HDMI enabled tv and login to your Amazon Prime account.
- Roku 3 | $78.75 – Just plug it into your HDMI enabled tv and login to your Amazon Prime account. This is NON-4k.
- Amazon Fire TV | $99.99 – 4K Enabled. Just plug it into your HDMI enabled tv and login to your Amazon Prime account.
- Apple TV does not work with Amazon Instant Videos. Apparently, they’re still negotiating out a deal, since they are direct competitors with each other.
- Roku 4 | $114.18 – – 4K Enabled. Just plug it into your HDMI enabled tv and login to your Amazon Prime account. In our honest opinion, the only reason Roku can justify the $15 markup over the Amazon device is that they are not tied to the Amazon eco-system and can adapt to new technology faster.
Apparently, Amazon Instant Video isn’t available to everyone just yet. From what we see, here are the only countries that can
- United States
- United Kingdom
Getting Around Restrictions – YMMV
From the research we’ve done, there are definitely ways to get around the country restrictions.
- Sign up for a US Amazon account. So, that means no .ca or .it at the end. You’re looking for .com and that is it.
- This may be a little tricky as this works some times with your native country’s credit card info. If it doesn’t work, then you might want to try making a fake US address and link that to your instant video account. That might just do the trick.
- Now, sign up for a VPN service to make Amazon think you’re watching from the US. Here’s a video we found that can help:
[button color=”red” size=”big” alignment=”center” rel=”follow” openin=”samewindow” url=”https://store.cyberghostvpn.com/848/cookie?affiliate=43186&redirectto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cyberghostvpn.com%2Fen%3F%23buy&redirecthash=477615BAEF0478F934DBA05A95EE789A”]VPN: Get around Country Restrictions[/button]
The good thing is that there is a 30 day free trial on a Amazon Instant Video, so if it doesn’t work, just make sure to cancel your account
Leave a comment if you have any other questions and we’ll update this page as best as we can.
♦ Follow Grand Tour Nation on Google News